Identities are different user profiles or different users. Each identity represents a set of different data for a particular user. Data means - your email messages, folders, program settings, accounts, newsgroups, address book - everything.
While you are logged into a particular identity you see that particular set of data. When you switch identity, you see another set of data.
You can use identities to separate your data depending on how you use the program or you can use the program in multi-user environment. Some examples - if you are single user you may have one identity for work email and another for home email, you can separate your accounts by using identities, you can have 2 or more users accessing OE Classic - each one with his/hers own identity, etc.
Each user or each profile will have a different program looks when he/she enters the program. Identities can be password protected but have in mind that it is a weak protection, sufficient only against plain computer users. If you want to apply protection to your data you should use stronger protection measures (e.g. encryption).
Identities window may appear by using main menu option File » Manage Identities, or automatically when you start the program if the identity is password protected.
Window buttons and options
Top of the window shows current or active identity - the one which is logged on or the one which was logged on last time the program was running. Below is the default identity - it will be used to set current identity if there is none.
- Available identities - This list shows currently available identities. Use this list to select which identity you want to switch to, edit or rename. You can use right mouse button to invoke a popup menu to do some of the operations. Some identities may have a lock icon - these require a password to switch to or to delete.
- New - Creates a new identity.
- Rename - Renames currently selected identity. You can also use F2 key as a shortcut.
- Delete - Deletes currently selected identity. If identity has a lock icon, then it is password protected so you have to enter correct password before you can delete it.
- Set As Default - Sets a default identity. If there is no current identity, default identity will be used instead.
- Require a password to log in - Show additional fields to enter/verify password. If identity already has a password this checkbox is unavailable until password is removed.
- Password - Use this field to either enter a password for identity which has one, or to add a password if you are adding a password.
- Confirm Password - When adding a password to identity, you must enter it into this field as well to make sure you haven't mistyped it.
- Add Password - Adds password to identity. It may be greyed if you didn't enter the same password in Password and Confirm Password fields.
- Remove Password - Removes password from identity. It requires you to enter correct password before you can remove it.
- OK (or popup menu Open) - Switches to selected identity.
- Cancel - Closes window and keeps current identity unchanged.
Once you switch identity, program will restart and new desktop, folders, settings and messages will appear.