In our statistics we see that quite a few users are using old and no longer supported versions such as 1.9, 2.1, 2.31, 2.4 and so on. Many of these versions were released 2 or even 3 years ago.
Not updating for that long is really not a good idea. Here are a few good reasons why you should update:
- New versions bring new features you requested.
- They also improve existing features so they become faster, better and more stable.
- Users ask questions about already implemented features and already fixed bugs. In such cases user-support time is wasted on problems which are already fixed. This is important reason for you (and us) to update.
- New versions bring security improvements. Want the best protection against spam or viruses? Use the latest version.
- Finally, if you don't update for too long, we may simply abandon old version file format and you may not be able to update. We keep compatibility with older formats for a long time, but not forever. It is not possible to make the program better and keep the old file format because some features depend on improved file format too.
We hope these will raise the awareness of the importance of updates. Don't ignore them - they are really important! We don't make the program bloated and introduce unnecessary features - we carefully evaluate what goes in. Lots of time is also spent to make it user-friendly and not just cram new features into it to make a mess.
So let me write this once more - update to the latest version
. It is free and it will work better than the older one.
Keep in mind to use special upgrade procedure if using any version older than 2.32 (as described on download page).
In other news, we are testing IMAP support. It works already and internal builds can connect to a server and fetch messages. But there is a lot of work in tweaking it properly and adding it to the user-interface in a user friendly manner. We'll get there and we will keep you informed.