OE Classic 2.2 brings you lots of bug fixes and a completely new store folder file format which will allow us to add many new features you have requested.
If upgrading from version 2.1, please note that the file format used in 2.2 is no longer compatible with 2.1 format.
The program will automatically upgrade your store folder from older format to the latest format during the installation. If you have store folder backup, please create a new, fresh backup after the automatic upgrade has completed
as the old one will not be compatible with the new version.
One of the first features enabled by the new store folder format is the number of unread messages next to a folder name
- New file format which is ready to support new features such as count of messages next to folder name, address book groups and other features (your file backups made for previous version won't be compatible with this version so please update them!)
- A number of file and folder functions have been rewritten or revised to be more stable and reliable, including Move/Copy function which was complicated and unreliable before
- Automatic upgrade from older version file format to this version file format
- Aggregate Properties in main window for viewing message properties (sender, recipient, headers, message source etc.), folder properties or contact properties
- Aggregate Properties in address book (folder or contact) and Properties in separate message viewer window
- Number of unread messages is now shown next to a folder name
- Added Save As in message viewer window (saves message as a single EML/NWS file)
- Various address book actions (in main window, message editor, address book) are now even faster and rarely use disk operation
- Deleting multi-selected contacts is much faster
- Folders can now store multiple copies of an identical message and are self-contained units
- Identity Manager menu key has been changed to "S" for faster switching using ALT + F, S key combination
- Program title bar now shows "Folder - Identity - Program name", instead of just "Program name" as before (this info is also visible in the taskbar)
- SSL libraries have been updated to address the SSL 3.0 POODLE flaw (v1.0.1j)
- Message decoder improved to be more resistant to malformed messages (which may contain long lines without line breaks, invalid Content-Transfer-Encoding etc.)
- Compact All is more resistant to certain types of errors and can correct them automatically
What will follow next?
- Updated installer to be more compatible with more recent Windows like Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Message editor now opens much faster when there are lots of contacts in the address book
- Fixed blank space in To/Cc/Bcc edit boxes when using Reply All with lots of emails in a maximized window
- Removed delay before starting checking email on program startup
- Fixed blurred fonts on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 with high-DPI setup
- Lookup for email addresses in To/Cc/Bcc was not working properly
- Some missing shortcuts added like shortcuts for Reply, Reply-To-All, Forward, Mark as Read and a few others
- Removed problematic functions which could cause failure to start the program if a file error occurs
- Improved font rendering in message/folder/contact list which is no longer clipped on a higher DPI system
- Identity Manager focuses on the list of identities as the first control so identity can be selected immediately with up-down arrow keys (and Return/Enter key to switch to it)
- Fixed error which occurred after creating/renaming/deleting identities
- Improvements in how message download is triggered in the newsgroups - fast clicking on items won't confuse the program anymore and will also refresh items as they are downloaded
- Updates on folder open/close status (and also the new folder count) is now performed from memory only, without unnecessary disk read operation to slow it down (it is visible with larger number of folders)
- A number of issues associated with message count refresh have been fixed (while copying, moving, deleting, creating drafts etc.)
- Huge speed increase when saving message list in the newsgroups
- Message is now marked as read after moving from Outbox to Sent Items
- After sending a message, only Outbox and Sent Items are refreshed and not currently displayed folder (e.g. Inbox), causing message list reload and switching currently displayed message
- SSL 3.0 is no longer supported due to POODLE security vulnerability (use TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 instead)
- Updated built-in SQLite for the latest bug fixes (v220.127.116.11)
- Charset decoding improved, especially for African and Asian languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, Russian as well as many others
- Fixed creating/moving/deleting too large messages (like 200 MB) which previously caused errors like "Out of memory" or "Invalid number of transaction parameters for operation 11"
- Message icon updated with arrow after a message has been replied or forwarded
With this new file format we can now begin work on the implementation of some of the very frequently asked features such as address book groups and folders
. In fact, version 2.3 will be focused a lot around many improvements to the address book and how the program manages contacts in general.