As promised, we are releasing newsreader feature in OE Classic. Newsreader is very much like it used to be in Outlook Express except it's better. It can decode stuff Outlook Express and many other newsreaders couldn't and it does not have useless and downright annoying thumbnail image preview mode like Windows Live Mail but instead it displays images inline - as it should.
Newsreader can decode yEnc
posts without any external decoder (like our other software yEnc Decoder - yDecode
), it automatically recognizes multipart posts
(e.g. messages having "(001/100)" and similar counters in the subject line), and supports 64-bit article indexing
. It is worth noting that some newsreaders that don't support 64-bit indexes can cease to function (stop downloading new messages) on some high volume newsgroups like alt.binaries.boneless
which already have gone over 32-bit index limit. With 64 bits it is not likely to overflow in decades.
My favorite mini-feature is nickname generator and domain name generator in newsgroups account wizard - you can use it for newsgroups or any other purpose you need.
Here is a quick tour to highlight features we believe are the coolest in this update:
Newsgroup account wizard can generate unique nickname for you. You don't feel like Disco Genius today? Then use it to create your own out of millions of possible combinations. Generated email is "standard" invalid email (note "nospam" and ".invalid" domain) which nobody can spam to and is safe to use in newsgroups (given you don't want anyone to email you).
Newsgroup selection has 2 filters - by group type and by keywords you enter. You can combine them to easily find group you want. You can also see number of groups after filtering (if filters are cleared you see total number of groups) and approximate number of posts so you can determine which groups are more popular than others.
Multiparts are automatically detected and grouped into same group which you can open by clicking "+" icon.
Popup menus are now context sensitive - the items will change depending on folder or item you right-clicked.
Message decoder can now recognize wider variety of message attachments. This example shows delivery status and RFC-822 (returned email) attachments in a failed delivery reply message.
Detailed list of improvements:
- Newsreader with support for yEnc, multiparts and 64-bit article indexing
- Wizard for newsgroup accounts
- Random nickname generator for newsgroups (or any other purpose you like)
- Random domain generator and spam-safe invalid email generator for newsgroups
- Properties for newsgroup accounts
- Newsgroups selection window with account selection, newsgroups count, count of newsgroup posts, newsgroups count after filtering, filter by keyword and type (filters can be combined)
- Improved and beautified most popup menus (right mouse button menus)
- Context sensitive popup menus (item list changes with different folder)
- Internal code refactoring to simplify calls to same functions from different places (e.g. calling "Print" from main menu, toolbar etc.)
- Improved behavior of mouse wheel on some controls
- More options in main menu (Folder, Print, Save Attachments...)
- Added "Empty Deleted Items" right mouse option for "Deleted Items" folder
- Faster refresh of message list, especially for select all (CTRL+A)
- Beautified message display (centered images, cleaner attachments view etc.)
- Icons for messages in email and newsgroups (showing message status, if it is local or remote, which part of multipart it is etc.)
- Outgoing plain text message is now automatically wrapped to 80 columns rather than being based on window width
- Print option enabled from toolbar, main menu, popup menu, keyboard shortcut
- Improved detection of text and image attachments in messages
- Fixed specific bugs in copy/move messages
- Fixed missing folders in folder list for copy/move
- Fixed a bug causing messages sent from certain mail clients not to display
- Bug fixes in message list refresh and folder list refresh
- Internal improvement of handling disabled options when they are unavailable
- Fixed a bug that could cause transactions to malfunction (in message save)