OE Classic News


OE Classic Release Notes

More detailed release information

Updates to oeclassic.com web site security

Sep 22nd, 2017

As we moved to a better and modern web server which hosts this web site, we discovered that the contact form within the program has stopped working on Windows XP and older. This happens because Internet Explorer 8 (or older) on Windows XP does not support secure connections required by the web site.

This is not a problem for Internet Explorer 9 and Windows Vista and anything more recent than that so this is not a problem for Windows 7, 8 or 10. Therefore, we will likely not be fixing this problem. Windows XP is simply too old and you cannot fix things forever - everyone else already abandoned it. Checking for updates still works as that does not use secure connection to the web site (it is not required).

The reason why this doesn't work is because Windows XP does not support modern encryption (longer and more secure ciphers) which are now used by our new web site, so we decided to stop support for program built-in contact form for Windows XP in favor of users who already use more recent versions of Windows to provide them with more secure experience. It is not a good decision to leave 97% of our users with weaker encryption because the other 3% just don't want to upgrade from Windows XP. As protection of user's privacy is one of our guidelines and server can only use one encryption, we have to take side and we choose modern encryption. Once again, this does not affect Windows 7, 8 and 10 users at all. They will see no difference.

Users who still wish to run OE Classic on Windows XP can continue to do so, the program will still work, except for the contact form which is tied into the web site. They can still contact us using web page using some other web browser than Internet Explorer (also note that Chrome and Firefox web browser developers have also stopped support Windows XP and Vista for a good while now).

Once again, we urge you to upgrade from this obsolete and insecure version of Windows to something more recent (Windows 7, 8 or 10) - if you haven't already done so. We wrote a good number of times how insecure Windows XP and Vista are by modern standards.
© 2010-2024 OEClassic.com. All rights reserved.

license agreement | privacy statement