At last, final version of OE Classic 1.6 has been released with many great new features you'll love! The feature list is huge (largest so far) but the most important of them all is definitely support for Identities as requested by many of you, our valued users. Also, one important new thing is the new task manager. It is not something you will see but it is in fact a main engine of the program, so replacing and improving it was a very delicate task (and well worth it). Now when it is done, it will make implementation of some other features much easier - and first few of such features are already available - for example - checking emails every N minutes would be one of them. There are a number of other improvements as well so please read about them in the list that follows.
Here are some of the new features this version brings:
Identities support - very similar to Outlook Express identities but much easier to use - everything is placed in a single window.
Send and Receive toolbar button now has a drop-down menu with additional options like Send All or Receive All.
Some of the new options are also placed under "General" tab.
New status bar now shows more details about current task - includes more detailed messages, more detailed status and a progress bar.
Detailed list of improvements:
- Identities support - identity is complete set of folders, messages and settings which can be completely different from identity to identity and can also be password protected
- Completely new and rewritten from scratch queue and task manager - it is more stable than the old manager and works fully in the background (as thread which uses second processor core)
- New task manager makes possible new features like background downloading of messages and easier implementation of different protocols (like IMAP4, RSS etc.)
- New options - check messages at startup, check messages every N minutes, always show send/receive window, minimize to tray
- Menu added to Send And Receive button (new options in main menu as well - Receive All and Send All)
- All email addresses (sender and recipients) are validated before sending - checking sender prevents sending email with invalid address your recipient cannot reply to
- Status bar shows additional information when synchronizing - progress bar and info about current task
- Program internally adds configuration option "toolbar.main.email.iconSize" which you can use to make toolbar icons smaller (possible values are "small", "medium", "large")
- Program internally uses registry key "UserDataLocation" inside "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OEClassic" as path to store folder which you can use to move store folder to a different location
- Quick integrity check on startup to detect if critical files/folders are missing
- Send/Receive operation is faster (authentication and disconnect from server)
- POP3 automatically uses STLS if available on server (starts secure communication after initial connection) if SSL/TLS checkbox in settings is unchecked
- Newsgroups now support SSL/TLS (secure news - SNNTP)
- Newsgroups and sending SMTP messages are both more stable and reliable than in any previous version
- Newsgroups browsing is much more responsive - especially if you quickly click several messages one after another
- Error reporting in Send/Receive window contains more information about the error
- Program now automatically detects authentication methods available on server and always tries the most secure method first and if not available then tries less secure ones (this helps in avoiding compromising your email password)
- New option to close send and receive window automatically after a timeout (or to keep it open)
- On first run program window is maximized
- Very long lines in plain text messages are wrapped
- Fixed drawing issues with email address input buttons (rounded buttons) and copy-paste issues
- Reduced memory usage and faster startup (certain features are now using memory only when you use them)
- All address book email fields are used (previously only personal email was used)
- Sending messages with invalid email addresses has been fixed due to email address validation before sending
- Fixed bolding of message list line with unread messages and columns rearranged to custom order - now text in all columns is bold when message is unread
- Orphaned UIDL are cleaned in scenario where program is used on 2 computers and first keeps messages on server and second deletes them (previously that would leave orphan UIDLs on first computer)
- Outbox is refreshed after a message is sent
- Last or next message is auto-selected after opening folder, deleting messages and moving messages (no selection change after copy)